Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Today, worth a million

Today was a clinic day, but I was asked to go into a village and help out with public health. I asked Mary Anne, one of the new volunteers, to go with me. I worked in clinic the whole morning and then did public health this afternoon.

This morning was wonderful! I keep telling Dr. Dunn, "you just can't journal this." How do I express to you the line of people coming forward each day to accept Christ during the devotional. It is daily! They see the fruits of their labor here. Today Dr. Dunn had a special patient who just did not seem right. He was being treated for malaria, but I could tell something further was wrong with his spirit by the way he looked at me and at his surroundings. Just then, he started shaking some. It was not a seizure. My first thought was he might be on street drugs. Do they have those here? Yes. There is marijuana and another plant they smoke that can drive a person to psychosis. Well, after Dr. Dunn finished, I said I think we need to go to the chaplain, something is not right with this man's spirit. So, Mary Anne and I went with him there. That was great, because I saw first hand how they counsel them. We found out the man is on several drugs and drinks a lot. The chaplain, in a non-condemning voice, asked the man if he wanted to change his heart today and stop putting those things in it, since we are supposed to save our hearts for the Lord's temple. He said, maybe God had you come from miles away just so you can have the chance today to turn around without condemnation. Just start over, forgetting the past but being able to use it to help others turn around one day. The man said he understood and was willing. I pray for this man and for his life to change.

Today in clinic, I saw Joyce's son wearing a t-shirt saying "I hope you are doing what makes you happy." T-shirts here speak strong messages. Too much. It spoke to me in a good way showing how we all were there working hard and being made joyful every step of the way. Let me tell you about one person who exemplifies this t-shirt. His name is Cheney. He used to be a member of the tuberculosis colony, but he just kept hanging around, so they eventually put him to work here and he has sort of adopted the grounds. He does odds and ends with the land. He always hangs out around our house here. Every time I see him, you say hello to him and he says, "I'm fine" with the largest smile you can imagine. He will then say something about how he loves the Father and Jesus and says "hallelujah, amen." One day, he was working outside, and instead of whistling while you work, he was singing. The song was in English but with his accent I could pick up, "hallelujah, Jesus." Today, Cedrick and I were talking about him, and Cedrick goes, it's like he's drunk but not on wine. That's something to think about and be like.

2 comments:

  1. God is moving in such a powerful way there. It's really refreshing and encouraging to hear about so many souls being saved daily and lives being turned around! My life is enriched by each and every new life in Christ that I've read about. All can come to Jesus. We were His first, anyway. You're surrounded by people with such sweet, gentle, loving, caring spirits. I'm happy that you've had such a rewarding experience in Ghana. How I wish that we could bottle up some of that and release it here at home and elsewhere in the world. We know it's possible when we put Christ first in our lives and follow His example. I pray that Dr. Dunn's morning patient will be able to stay on the path to new life. There's great potential, I believe it.

    The t-shirt slogans you've mentioned are really thought-provoking. Now I just can't get Cheney out of my mind. Bless his heart, he got Jesus in his heart and chose to make lemonade out of lemons. To imitate Cheney each day, experiencing his joy, smiling, and singing "hallelujah, Jesus" would be a privilege.

    Again, I'm thrilled that the experience at Nalerigu has brought you so much joy, too, and clearly you've had a multitude of opportunities to grow in your clinical training as well, all for God's glory.

    Praying,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zsi Zsi - I love reading these entries. I can't explain how it makes me feel reading them. It sort-of takes me to another place for a couple of minutes. It removes me from my habitual life of the same thing day in and day out and causes me to think about what's going on in so many other parts of the world. What you are doing is amazing. All glory to the Father, of course, but I know that He is so pleased with you. You have such a heart of gold, I've always known it. It just makes me miss you so much! I'm so proud of you, Zsi, and feel so much peace and contentment for some reason when I read your posts. Maybe it's because I'm tired of hearing of so much death and destruction and politics, etc. I love to hear how wonderful things are being done around the world. There really is a reason to live. :)

    ReplyDelete