Saturday, April 14, 2007

Mango Tree

Mango trees here are very useful. I see how the Lord provided them for the fruit here. Also, people use them for everything they are and use the shade of one as their place to sit or congregate.

I do not see people hanging out inside of their mud homes.



I see them by the stream washing clothes in the water or at a community well pumping it to bring water back home.


Also, you'll see them under the mango trees as if it was their living room.



I have a story for you about another way the mango tree is seen. It is a danger to the children. Many times we get children coming in with severe head trauma because they have been climbing the mango tree to help their families out by picking the mangos and have fallen straight to the ground sometimes breaking their necks or are unconscious. So, one of my patients did just that several days ago when he came in. We do not have neurosurgery here if there was a bleed nor an ICU, which is where he'd be in the U.S. So, we rely on a steroid to decrease brain swelling and basically pray. My kid has been completely unresponsive to pain or anything and had pinpoint pupils that were non-reactive to light. We actually have told the family it is better for them to bring him home now and let him finish his life with them there. Well, I delayed that the other day for some reason and didn't get the translator to tell the parents that. The next thing I know on rounds is that his eyes were open, pupils were reactive to light and he responded to pain and even withdrew his extremities with some purposeful movement. Glory to God! This is pediatric neurology right here! This is the Great Pediatric Neurologist working! I'm not saying he's fully recovered, but I'm saying I did not expect this or any change in him at all. Oh ye of little faith, right. Pray for a miracle for him. I know his prognosis is bad, being that he will have neurological sequelae to this, but pray anyway. Pray for purpose and for his family.

I will never forget mango trees for this reason and remember this miracle every time I eat one. You know, I actually bought one today, may it be to God's glory.



1 comment:

  1. Miracles! Yes, Jesus! Zsi, how awesome! You're witnessing & sharing with us His utmost--so true, the Great Pediatric Neurologist! I believe, & you do, too, that He can restore the little boy, according to His will. Whatever the outcome, He has purpose. May we not ignore His purpose in situations like this little boy & the mango tree. He makes it clear that He'll accomplish monumental things with our faith even as tiny as a mustard seed. I know you're visualizing the backdrop to Jesus' words right now--the abundance of seeds produced from the complete ground covering of flowering wild mustard across Israel during the spring & the very deep & extensive root system of the mulberry tree:

    5The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"
    6He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you. Luke 17:5-6

    Praying for faith in the loving, healing hands of Christ!

    ReplyDelete