Friday, April 20, 2007

Another Zsila

Yesterday we had a woman who was having a c-section and the other docs asked that I be there for the baby, since she was thick meconium. So, I looked at our supplies in the O.R. and thought we didn't have exactly what we needed as in the NICU back at home. I needed materials for possible intubation and suction. We don't have ventilators here or CPAP to help the babies breathe. Most importantly, we worry that these babies will aspirate the meconium into their lungs and get infections and become septic. Well, this baby was born and we had a light version of suction. I watched the midwife step in to dry the baby and use the suction as I was assisting. I was so surprised at how different they do things here. We didn't have oxygen for the baby, but we had a bag and mask that could pump in room air. They held the baby by the legs upside down! I was in astonishment. That was their way of helping to clear the lungs. Then they pumped in the room air in a higher frequency than we normally do. I was worried about blowing out the lungs. This was a place for me to watch and help, but not be completely intrusive and tell them their way was wrong. Once she stopped, I took over and we continued pumping the room air. At home, she would have had oxygen. It is just different. You make do here. I started antibiotics on the baby as well, and they put her in an incubator that does not work. They had some blow by oxygen, so we used that. Well, I was walking out of the maternity ward when a woman stopped me in the hall. It was the grandmother. She is also a midwife and delivers babies. I told her what was going on and asked her if they had a name for the baby. She said Cynthia. She asked me my name, I told her, and she said, "I will take that for the child." What? Yes, she named the baby Zsila. I can't believe it! Honestly, I was totally honored. This morning, I was so sad to see that baby Zsila was very sick. My first thought was that the baby was septic and we didn't have adequate treatment for respiratory distress. I knew that baby Zsila could die. I immediately put my hands on her and prayed out loud with two other physicians for her life, if it was the Lord's will. All throughout the day I have been checking on baby Zsila and she is getting slightly better. The grandmother asked me to spell the name for her. I told her and explained to her the meaning, "shade, safe, and refuge." I pray that this baby lives and will have a marvelous testimony. Can you believe it?

1 comment:

  1. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
    Matt. 19:14.

    ReplyDelete