Sunday, April 22, 2007

Every 7pm the day after rain

Yesterday as well as this morning, we had rain. When it rains here, it rains hard! We are still in the dry season, though, which means even though we still see malaria on a daily basis, it is still lower than the wet season. However, there is this funny thing that happens, they say, every day after the rain at 7pm. The termites [see a typical huge mound below] come out and fly toward light, then they die. I have proof that this happened. Tonight at 7pm on the dot, they came out by the masses in our house and flew toward our lights. So, as Dr. Dunn and I sat down in the living room, we opted to turn the lights off, so they wouldn't bug us.

Dr. Dunn sat on one chair and I sat on the sofa, and we both just sat there in the dark able to talk with our eyes closed! :) Honestly, it was so great. We ended up talking for two hours before our night rounds. We reminisced about missions to Venezuela. He helped establish the Fundabrez Clinic in Maracaibo, Venezuela, which is the very clinic where I served just after graduating college and before starting medical school. In fact, I still keep in touch with the McCones, the missionaries who were there. They are the very ones God used to connect Dr. Dunn and me two years ago, when I went to Vanderbilt for an interview for residency. I stayed with the Dunns then, and here I am in Ghana now with him. Who knew God's plan. It was so awesome that we were able to talk about the same people in Venezuela, served there at different times yet with similar experiences. I then got to share with him how wonderful this trip has been and what God has taught me here. He shared, too, saying that he came last year, but this year has been so much more amazing! I still can't get over how God blesses obedience to answering His call. Not only have I had the blessing of discipleship, but the fellowship with, at one point, 8 other members on the team.






Cedrick Palmer, one of the residents here, went into town tonight with our cook, Issa, and experienced his home and more of the culture. Dr. Dunn, Dr. Renfro, and I walked around behind our houses and through the commmunity with the mud houses. We saw a school house and donkeys, chickens, and goats.





On rounds tonight, I heard the good news from Victoria, the chaplain, that the two ladies with spiritual problems earlier were opening up. The woman who wasn't speaking was now speaking. Praise God! We also have a man with a snake bite to his face, since they sleep on the floor. His whole head is swollen. I forgot to mention all the snake bites we treat here. Hello, flashlights, when we are walking around at night! Just another common ailment here in Ghana. We are good at giving anti-snake venom.

Okay, well, I really appreciate your comments. Kathy, I have to say your comment about your church's sermon coinciding with mine just blew me away again with how God weaves it all together. He only does things with purpose. Our messages enhanced each other's walk with Him and ultimately for His glory. Pray that my every day here will be maximized as the month is nearing an end.

5 comments:

  1. I'm curious about exotic wildlife. Are you near any areas where there is exotic game? They may be confined to more forested areas, I don't know. I haven't researched it really. I think I heard that the numbers of exotic wildlife had diminished significantly in recent years due to poachers, so they took protective measures and confined a lot of them to "game parks." I also heard recently that the numbers have increased, since they've been protected. In other words, the protective measures have been working. I just wonder if there are some near Nalerigu? Now about those snake bites, DO watch out. Thank heavens, the local people have a good hospital to go to for the snake bite complications.

    Hearing about all those termites reminds me of those ferocious dukays (lizards) you had everywhere in Thailand, remember? Where are they when you need them? You know, they love termites. Little did the rain/termites know that they afforded you and Dr. Dunn a special reflection time about your missions in Venezuela as well as there in Ghana. It's always so interesting to look back at where we've been in life and see God's hand carefully designing everything--past present and future. I thank God that He is the Master Planner of our lives. Oh, that we may be good listeners as He speaks to us in all our days ahead!

    I do give the Lord thanks for the improvement of both young ladies with spiritual warfare issues. They are in such a safe haven there at the hospital with all the prayer and love, because God's presence is blotting out the spiritual warfare in their lives. May they both have an intimate encounter with Jesus and choose Him.

    I always especially pray for you as your time there draws near to completion. I'm so thankful for what it has meant to you, and I know you've given all of your heart to those people there. You still have time to make more of a difference, so go ye forward in faith!

    Have an awesome week ahead!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zsila,
    Just wanted you to know that I am praying that your last few days in Ghana will be very special. I know the Lord is looking down on you saying "Well done my good and faithful servant." I pray that you have a safe trip back home. I am leaving to go out of town for a few days to an Arbonne conference so I don't know if I will be able to keep up with your blog, but that does not mean that I won't be praying for you and the other doctors and all your patients. I will continue to pray every day! Thanks again for allowing me to participate in this special mission trip with you. Hope to talk to you soon.
    Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your day has been great!
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it's already almost been a month since you've been in Africa! I've prayed for you while keeping up with your blog every few days. Tom and I have been awed by your stories... esp baby Zsila. So sad to hear about her death... it especially hits home for me as I am in the NICU right now! I have incubators that work, plenty of antibiotics, ventilators, pressors, etc. But I can tell you that we have little to no faith compared to the faith you describe, Zsi! It's a blessing a curse to have all of our resources in the US... a great blessing in that we can really help heal the hard to treat diseases... a great curse in that we depend on the equipment and methods more than we depend on and trust in the Lord our God.
    Zsi, I was especially touched by the blog re: the great need of the people in Ghana... and if a doctor in the US ever wondered, "what's the point of all of this?', that they would never need ask that question if faced with the scenes you are beholding. I feel like I need to visit Ghana to remind myself of what the point truly is. You are such an inspiration to me, Zsi! May God continue to bless your efforts in Ghana to love and serve that people group... His love shines through you Zsila to all of those people for whom He sent His only Son to save!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey sweetheart!

    Did you ever get my e-mail? I love you and we are praying for you. We had the opportunity to share the story of Baby Zsi with the people at Verizon Wireless today! It was awesome to get to share how Jesus used you and have the people at Verizon recognize HIM!!

    because of HIM,

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete