Sunday, April 22, 2007

Needing more than physical help

Last night I was on call. My call went well. I was able to take care of the admissions before our 9pm rounds. After that, I didn't have any more admissions or emergencies, so I slept the whole night. That was a praise, since we had church today. One patient last night was brought in for "impaired consciousness." Just yesterday her family noticed that she was not speaking. She could walk, but not talk. Her blood film was positive for malaria, so she had just started treatment. I've seen several cerebral cases of malaria out here where children have seizures. I examined this young woman who was about 25 years old. She kept her eyes closed and would not follow commands. Upon my neurological exam of her, she was normal. In fact, when I looked at her eyes, she would quickly roll them back. If I lifted up her hand, she would hold it up in the air instead of it falling naturally. I started fluids and started IV malaria treatment, since I knew she wasn't going to participate in taking anything by mouth. She was having some psychosis or attention seeking way of refusing to talk. The problem was more than physical. We think it was spiritual. This morning, Dr. Dunn and I found Victoria, our chaplain friend with the amazing testimony, to talk with her, too.

Also when I rounded this morning, I met a young lady about 20 years old who had a sad demeanor and had her head covered, since she was Muslim. Her chief complaint was chest pain and shortness of breath. The medical assistant who first saw her thought she might have hysteria. Her exam showed a normal heart. All things suggested she might be having a panic attack. Again, beyond the physical into the spiritual. I talked with her and found out whether she was having any worries or stress in her life. Yes, just yesterday she had a big disappointment. I told her how she can never be disappointed or failed by Jesus. Nothing can separate us from His love for us. We talked for a few minutes, then Dr. Dunn and I prayed for her. We also had Victoria come visit her, too. Dr. Dunn was observant and noticed her t-shirt that phrased it so perfectly, "B Some 1." Her shirt was saying to be someone. That was her cry for help.

She, like so many, are trying to just be someone in life. Thank goodness we can be someone. We are someone in Christ and we matter to Him. He knows even the number of hairs on our head. He knit us together perfectly in our mother's wombs, we are fearfully and wonderfully made. I pray she realizes this. So, I pray and ask you to pray for these ladies.

2 comments:

  1. I will be praying for these 2 young women that they can quickly come to know who they are and can be in Christ Jesus. What peace that brings! Glad your call night was peaceful. Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for healing & new life!

    ReplyDelete