Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Great fellowship tonight

Tonight 14 of us had dinner together at my house. Everyone, including the missionaries, got together for a share time. Earlier in the day during our break time in the morning, Dr. Dunn and I were recapping the trip and about how appreciative we are for it. I finally let the tears out. I've been holding them in for a while. They are tears of "Wow, God, you amaze me by how you blessed us beyond what we imagined on this trip" or "I'm so thankful for this experience" or "How can I leave." Anyway, all of us go home at the end of this month or the beginning of the next month, so we all had the opportunity to put it into words somehow for each other tonight. The missionaries lit up. I hope it inspires them seeing how much we are inspired by what God is doing here and through them. Like I said about that new grass here after the rain, that's me, a renewed person after this trip. Psalm 23 talks about leading us to the still water, lying in green pastures, and how He restores my soul. Every one of us said it was life changing. I've been on many mission trips, and this one was one of those life-changing ones. I'm still processing the details. :) Dr. Dunn and Dr. Renfro put it nicely to me regarding the emotions, "We sweat from our eyes out here." In other words, "If your eyes leak well, your head won't swell." I think everyone's eyes have been leaking.


After that sweet time together, we went back and were used by God again and helped the sick. I saw something I have never seen before, along with countless other things that I have only seen here (too many to number), a child with meningeal signs of neck stiffness and meningitis, but what got me was when I did his spinal tap. Usually, you have to wait patiently for a drop or two of cerebrospinal fluid to come out of the needle you place in their spine. This boy's fluid caught me off guard. It sprayed across the room and hit the wall and was cloudy. This is another reason God brings us here to work. The boy was in need of some serious help. He had increased cerebral edema with meningitis--in other words, an emergency. Similar story last night with something only in Africa. As we were all in a prayer meeting, they came and got me for a sick baby. The baby was grimacing in the face and, as I glanced, the umbilical area didn't look clean. It was neonatal tetanus. I guess for a pediatric neurologist in training to learn about.

To top if off tonight, Doris, my second mom, found me during her off hours to tell me how wonderful God is to her in her life. Her husband died four years ago and she has four kids. She doesn't worry about money, because God provides. She said it is good to know God, so it is good to know you. Praise the Lord for these relationships. I can't explain it. Maybe one of the practical examples of the people here is how no matter where you go in any village or roadside, if a child is near the road, they light up, smile, and wave at you, practically chasing the car.



Remember the previous blog--that t-shirt, "I hope you are doing what makes you happy." I think I am. :)

1 comment:

  1. It is so special that you all were blessed with such a large group of loving fellowship tonight. It must have been so encouraging for the missionaries to see all of your joy, because they are the ones who still must carry on the Lord's work with or without the volunteers. May their eternal rewards be mega sized.

    What a praise that the Lord used you to help administer timely and proper care to the little boy with meningitis and the baby with neonatal tetanus. You'll be blessed, Zsi. I see you've already been blessed beyond words in countless ways with all the relationships such as your second mother--Doris, all of your co-workers, the village and roadside children, the patients, your worship and fellowship at church, and the list goes on and on, doesn't it. Treasures upon treasures!

    Well, I surely don't have to worry about my head swelling, if you know what I mean. My eyes are leaking well.

    I love you and am so thankful for the Lord's healing and protection over you.
    Mom

    Psalm 84:
    1 How lovely is your dwelling place,
    O LORD Almighty!
    2 My soul yearns, even faints,
    for the courts of the LORD;
    my heart and my flesh cry out
    for the living God.
    3 Even the sparrow has found a home,
    and the swallow a nest for herself,
    where she may have her young—
    a place near your altar,
    O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
    4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
    they are ever praising you.
    Selah
    5 Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
    who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.
    6 As they pass through the Valley of Baca,
    they make it a place of springs;
    the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
    7 They go from strength to strength,
    till each appears before God in Zion.
    8 Hear my prayer, O LORD God Almighty;
    listen to me, O God of Jacob.
    Selah
    9 Look upon our shield, O God;
    look with favor on your anointed one.
    10 Better is one day in your courts
    than a thousand elsewhere;
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
    than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
    11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
    the LORD bestows favor and honor;
    no good thing does he withhold
    from those whose walk is blameless.
    12 O LORD Almighty,
    blessed is the man who trusts in you.

    ReplyDelete