Friday, April 20, 2007

Joyce

Today Dr. Dunn and I shared with Joyce, one of the head nurses in the clinic, and she has sat with us multiple times.

Joyce asked me yesterday why I wasn't wearing earrings. Actually, she's not the first nurse to ask that here. Well, I didn't want to wear any and be flashy here. However, I'm obviously now being offensive by not wearing them, so I tried a cultural experiment today and wore my Austrian crystal studs. I wore them and asked Joyce if she thought they were appropriate. She said, yes.





Later on, we asked Joyce how she became a Christian. She told me her mother is a muslim and her father is a Christian. Her dad actually was a muslim first and made the mother be a muslim too. Then he converted to Christianity and the mother hasn't yet. Joyce told me that she is married to a prince! He is the next in line to be chief. I asked her about all of the men wearing hats here and she told me that they wear them usually if they are chiefs or princes or if they are old and want to cover their heads. There is a governmental system but also tribal with the chiefs, and each respects the other. Who knew these were some of the people in and out of here. She told me that several of the muslims who come here feel a sense of healing, when they walk in the place. She said, in fact, one day a woman accepted Christ just by hearing the music they were playing during the worship time. The song was about being healed by the Lord. The lady had her head wrapped as muslims do and she started to dance and removed the wrap. From that moment, she followed the pastors here and asked to accept Christ. You never know, but I see this as a venue for God bringing hearts who are ready for change. God is using this place!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I love it. God's venue for hearts ready for change!

    ReplyDelete