Sunday, April 15, 2007

Living life on the edge--our road trip

Today after church and lunch, Dr. Stockton, one of the new FP physicians who came this week, told me that the missionary doctor was taking anyone who wanted to go to hike and see a scenic canyon here in Ghana. Although, I was post-call, I took a nap and went right along. The only issue with our ride was that it was exceptionally bumpy. I mean they have large dirt road bumps that we flew over maybe faster than the average person in a van together. At one point, one of the doctors flew straight up and hit his head on the top of the van. I didn't realize how it hit me, until I looked down and saw myself grabbing my stomach fearing to let go. I've been getting some weird stomach pains here, so keep me in your prayers as well as everyone else. I don't think I'm sick, but it could either be a side effect of the malaria medicine or a touch of a bug. So, the missionary's kids came with us as well as the FP resident and the 81 year old volunteer nurse I have told you about. The kids got dropped off at a village to visit some other missionary kids. The nurse got dropped off to visit a catholic couple who are here to advocate for health and public schools. Then the two FP docs and the missionary doc and I went out to the canyon to hike. It was very rocky and we climbed up tall rocks and this might have been my first rapelling experience! We all climbed into a crack in the rock structure which had us rapelling for a bit until we could make it through the passage. On top of it was a spectacular view of the land and the canyon.





Anyway, it made for a great photo opportunity and we were able to see a scenic side to Ghana. I'm so thankful we went. We made the trip back and picked up all of those we had dropped off, then came back in time for dinner and did our night rounds. We will have a great day tomorrow. It will be Monday and our clinic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment