Sunday, April 15, 2007

African jive at church today!

Dr. Dunn and I walked with two med students over to the village and went to a church here today. It was awesome! First off, they have a building that is only one year old to worship in. Many women were dressed in their finest and most beautiful colors of fabric. Many children were there, too. The men sat on the far left and the women sat towards the right.




They had a few teenage boys who played in the band with a set of drums and a keyboard piano.

The choir was present and sat to the left and got up for a special singing. They sang worship songs in english and in mampruli. I loved it right away! Dr. Dunn actually sat with us on the girls' side. I leaned over to him and told him I could get used to this kind of church real soon. They lifted their voices loudly and smiled for the Lord.


Dr. Dunn blessed the boys with a new set of drumsticks, or actually a real set of drum sticks. The boys had been using sticks. They made the announcement of the gift and the boys demonstrated their appreciation by tossing the old out of the door and coming in with the new to play with. I found out tonight at dinner that Dr. Dunn used to play drums.

The sermon was great. It was an extension of Easter and celebrated the resurrection of Christ. The music got even more awesome when one by one a few of the women came down to the front before the church and danced in a circle while singing their praises to the Lord. Angela, the med student, grabbed my hand and we joined the circle dancing, too!






See what I mean, we can do this back home! :) It's just like David singing and dancing before the Lord. I highly appreciated going to this worship service. I was so excited to see the rich enthusiasm of the Lord in the people in this simple concrete floor sanctuary. Dr. Dunn looked at me with a tear rolling down his face. I did everything possible to keep mine from flooding out. I was just so blessed to be there and touched by the people here. These have found God out here and I'm blown away by their love for Him.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how endearing! True worship--wonderful enthusiasm for the Lord! Rejoicing, singing & dancing to God like we will in heaven &, as you said, like David when he brought the ark of the covenant to the City of David/Jerusalem.

    How blessed Dr. Dunn must have felt to give the real drum sticks to the church! I imagine his heart beamed. I know your heart is still beaming after today's worship, too!

    ReplyDelete